Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

It's my party and I'll cry if I want to...

I am back from the lighthouse.

Today, Saturday, was incredibly busy, starting at 7.15 and it just went on all day. A friend brought an English guy round before ten for coffee to talk to my husband about job opportunities - I made tea, coffee and blueberry muffins but still hadn't quite managed to find time to get dressed. I have cool pjs though... The guy lives in Birmingham but wants to emigrate here. We sat out on the new deck even though it was overcast. He had come from minus 7 and decided it was warm as toast outside! When we saw them off in the van, the lady who cleans my classroom came past our house and had a good laugh at my attire.

I have a Year 13 Retreat this week. I have to go away with three other teachers and all 65 girls and I am responsible for the spiritual side of things for three days in a fairly remote campsite (no cell phone signal, much to the horror of the teenagers). I'm really looking forward to the challenge and the change. Yesterday saw me soaking wet the entire day as I worked on the javelin section of our sports day. It rained then poured then rained then cleared, then rained again! A couple of times it was torrential. But not particularly cold until a southerly started creeping in after lunch, when we sent everyone home. I had fun out there in the field all day. At one point, after my duties were over, I found myself sitting in a concrete bunker style changing room under the grandstand between a sick Ethiopian and an elective mute someone had left with me. I said to the sick girl, 'Isn't this a fitting end to a great sports' day, sitting in a cold concrete room with a stinky urinal in the corner, wet and shivering and throwing up in a big plastic rubbish bin?' She didn't seem to see the bright side of things and the other girl declined to comment, so I phoned for the mother to come...

I worked at work all afternoon (in my wet socks!), then met Christy after flippaball, made pikelets for Finn and his friends, rushed Christy out to buy a gift for some friends having an engagement party, drove the 3 young boys to Liam's house, picked up two of Asher's friends and him, took them to indoor soccer, watched that, dropped them all home, then Liam's mother poured me a large wine, so I sat there and chatted, didn't get home to cook dinner for us until nearly nine. Then later it was picking up Christy from a party via the supermarket to get bread, milk and chocolate, before dropping two of HER friends off, then, finally home.

Today I have to admit I'm glad cricket was cancelled. I have a heap of work as the Ministry inspects our school the week after and I need to mostly get ready this weekend. I'm also cooking rhubarb pie as my husband grew some rhubarb in the garden. I never did that before. I'm printing a final copy of my book some time this week and if the optometrist can do it fast, I'm getting new lenses in my glasses this week, with reading bits in them, before I go to camp. I'm starting a post grad diploma and filled out all the forms today, and I'm starting a new book in my head but I can't even begin to share what it will be about yet. That delicious planning is filling all my driving time at the moment.

Oooh, February 14, I might have some birthdays to remember...

I think that'll do for now. Ka kite ano...


Feb. 14th, 2009 11:39 am (UTC)
You do know you are too busy? It exhausts me just reading about it!!!
I adore rhubarb.

Hope you like my new Jamie icon - he sat still for two seconds yesterday.
Feb. 14th, 2009 07:46 pm (UTC)
Busy? Try this morning. I was lying in bed enjoying the fact that it was 7.30 on a sunny Sunday morning. I decided to read for ten minutes and then suddenly I had one of those sudden thoughts,


OMG it was Asher's first interclub tennis match this morning. Panic... panic... OMG we haven't been tennis parents before (only training) and Asher stayed the night at a friend's house. OMG and we don't have his number and Asher had turned his phone off and I had to wake Steve, drag him up, throw the tennis gear in the car (thinking what do they wear, what do they wear), text the mother in charge of the team, drive with Steve to the friend's house in the next suburb and go in and wake Asher up - Steve wouldn't do it, kept saying, which house? Grrr. I had to knock loudly. The woman said she couldn't wake him so I went in, 'he's the one in the middle' she said - three boys asleep in the room, I tweaked the toe of the middle one, he looked at me and I said, 'you're not Asher'! Anyway I sent them on their way and I had to walk home from Kilbirnie, not completely dressed either. Luckily I slept in Cari's Michigan top which is huge and looks like clothes over my jeans. Now I have to get ready for Mass... aaaaaaaaaargh

And a wonderful Jamie pic! OMG so lovely!!! That's brilliant!
Feb. 14th, 2009 08:57 pm (UTC)
Busy and mad!!! :)

Jamie is beautiful (in his grandmother's humble opinion). But he never stays still so most of our photos of him are taken when he's asleep.
Feb. 16th, 2009 09:34 am (UTC)
Your icon is brilliant!
Feb. 16th, 2009 10:56 am (UTC)
See my post - that and this other were icons I had to make when Colin found that nail!!! You're welcome to take either or both.



Latest Month

February 2016
Powered by LiveJournal.com
Designed by Naoto Kishi